Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Hospital Story

Monday, the day the AVM burst (and I didn't yet feel bad) playing at our favorite park.

Then I put babies to sleep. I fell asleep with David and woke up feeling bad. I thought I had some kind of weird migraine. My head hurt and I couldn't see well, and slept, slept, and slept. I begin to lose words. On Wednesday I tried to see a neurologist but the appointment desk made a mistake, and scheduled me for the next day, instead. Thursday morning we decided we shouldn't wait any more. A quick CT scan showed a walnut-sized clot in my brain. In the afternoon a doctor used an angiogram with contrast dye to better plot and measure the size of the AVM. Then they sent me to ICU. That evening we consulted with our neurosurgeon and scheduled our surgery the early next day. Late at night I had two MRI images to help map the brain for the surgery, and the dots on my head helped guide the MRI images. This is what I looked like after the MRI. I am smiling in the picture, but I'm scared out of my wits.

The surgery should have taken a few hours, but it took ten hours to remove the entire malformation. Then I slept in the ICU while doctors made sure I was stable. The next morning my shunt and intubation came out, and I recovered for several days in ICU. Tuesday morning, I was sent to the regular neuro floor. I saw my incision for the first time. Wow!
The next day, Wednesday, I was sent home. I missed my babies. My babies missed me, too.




5 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, January 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, all that happened so quickly, which I imagine was the scariest part. I'm so glad you're improving. Happy Birthday to the twins (who are looking so healthy and adorable!). See you guys soon.

Fiona

 
At 1:01 PM, January 26, 2007, Blogger Karen said...

OMG Joyce!!!!

Much Love and hugs to you. I'm so glad to hear and see that you're writing some again.

Happy Birthday to Carmen and David.... how lucky you all are!!

Karen

 
At 1:38 PM, January 26, 2007, Blogger Laura said...

Oh my Joyce!
glad to see you are getting better, must be such an ordeal.
belated happy bday to your babes.

thinking well wishes for you all

Laura

 
At 1:44 PM, January 26, 2007, Blogger spryngtree said...

Joyce! I'm so glad to "see" you. You look wonderful! Ok I guess that is a strange thing to say about a woman with a frankenstein scar on her shaved head. But really you do look great, strong and smiling. And hey, for a little while at least you can go with a very edgy circa 1984 punk look. Big big hugs, I'm so glad you are still here and are able to write a little again.

 
At 3:21 PM, January 29, 2007, Blogger Jess said...

So scary Joyce. I'm so glad you are ok and that you are home with your babies and you got to be with them on their birthday. Lots and lots of hugs and healthy vibes to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home